Monday, September 7, 2009

On the Eve of Instruction Revisited

Two years ago at this time I posted about wanting to get all my staff reading at least one blog each. In this I have been a miserable failure. So I am contemplating whether I was setting unreasonable goals or whether I need to work more proactively. Maybe a little of both. For some, I think it falls into the 'you can lead a horse to water' category.
Then I read Jen Wagner's post on never giving up and appreciating small changes. Thanks Jen, for buoying me up. This past year I have been involved with district ProD events that introduced blogs and feeds to teachers. I hope that some of them have incorporated blog reading into their daily practice. This list of blogs was created to inspire them. Pay attention to the link to Scott McLeod's Moving Forward Wiki. He recently asked his followers on Twitter to recommend the best blogs in a variety of education related subjects.

Some other great resources that came to me from Twitter or RSS blog feeds this week:
Wake County Library's Teen List Mania has dozens of themed lists for YA readers.

Ian Jukes' post on The Committed Sardine "Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beerholder: Coming to Terms With Technology in Education" made me smile. He offers a retrospective of the challenges faced by educators using technology going as far back as 1703. He urges readers to understand the potential that technology tools and devices have to enhance learning opportunities.

makeuseof.com has some excellent tips on How to Find a Book Without Knowing the Title or Author.

Peter Pappas of Copy Paste offers 18 Literacy Strategies for Struggling Readers - Defining, Summarizing and Comparing

Tom Whitby on Twitter posted a link to Teaching with Wikis from the University of Minnesota. Tom is well worth a follow as he posts useful links regularly.

So there you have it. As I start back to school tomorrow I wish everyone a rewarding and successful year. And if you've made a difference using technology in your school or community, please share.

No comments: